There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Overcoming challenges can be a difficult task for anyone, but even more so if you have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD).
The continual cycle of intrusive thoughts and repetitive behaviors often interferes with everyday life. And leaves you feeling at a loss.
But you don’t have to face your OCD challenges alone. Whether it be from friends and family, or perhaps online help groups, the doorway to support is always open.
These OCD quotes, from people who have been through similar challenges, will help you to see that. And remind you that no matter how tough things get, you have the strength to get through it.
Challenges are an inevitable part of life. We face them in our jobs, our relationships, our family dynamics. And almost every other aspect of our lives.
Sometimes, they’re easily dealt with, like having to take a diversion to work. Or downing a green veggie smoothie at 7 am, as part of a crazy health kick.
But other challenges, such as having OCD, can be harder to dismiss.
There's no escaping the obsessive thoughts, as they echo loudly in your mind. Or the need to repeatedly do something, despite knowing it’s already done.
It can affect your relationship, your social life, and even your career. Seemingly simple tasks, such as going to the shops or cleaning the house can become torturous.
And each new day, which should bring light, only offers a darkness that feels impossible to find a way through.
But you can. Whilst it might not feel like it, you can regain control of your life. With the right support network and resources, your OCD, and the challenges it brings with it, can be managed.
You could try meditation or journaling to relieve any stress or anxiety, as these are both known triggers for OCD episodes. And find relaxation techniques that work for you, such as going for a walk, or listening to music.
Remember though, there are no quick fixes. Learning to cope with your obsessions and compulsions takes commitment.
It will be a long journey. But OCD quotes can be helpful in providing comfort and inspiration when you're feeling overwhelmed. You’ve got this. And you can overcome any obstacles that come your way.
Now, let’s get started.
- “I'm a person who also happens to have OCD.” – Patricia Perkins-Doyle
- “OCD is not a weakness; it’s a battle.” – Michelle Visage
- “Pain of mind is worse than pain of body.” – Publius Syrus
- “My OCD is a speed bumb, not a barrier, to happiness.” – Amelia Diane Coombs
- “A lot of people assume that having OCD means liking things organized or hating germs. It tends to be treated like a quirk or an endearing trait. But it’s so much more than that. It’s the one thing that prohibits me from being free of myself.” – Whitney Amazeen
A lot of people assume that having OCD means liking things organized or hating germs. It tends to be treated like a quirk or an endearing trait. But it’s so much more than that. It’s the one thing that prohibits me from being free of myself.” – Whitney Amazeen
- “The best way out is always through.” – Robert Frost
- “Don’t let OCD control your life. You are in charge, not the disorder.” – Charlize Theron
- “Rule your mind or it will rule you.” – Horace
- “Not having to control or fight OCD can lead to a sense of freedom or lightness. Your energy can then be spent on things that you find meaningful. I often hear people say, “My OCD is exhausting.” After working on letting go of control, suddenly people report having more energy.” – Marisa T. Mazza
- “Habit if not resisted, soon becomes necessity.” – St. Augustine
- “I think everyone has a bit of OCD in them. It’s just a matter of degree.” – David Beckham
- “OCD is like having a bully stuck inside your head and nobody else can see it.” – Krissy McDermott
- “OCD can also impact your family and friends. Watching someone suffering from OCD isn’t easy.” – Marisa T. Mazza
- “[It’s] like that song that plays over and over in your head, only you can’t get rid of it.” – Kimberly Matthews-Cifra
- “Because the thoughts and behaviors of those with OCD are so unusual or socially unacceptable, people with OCD often feel deeply embarrassed and ashamed.” – Laura L. Smith
Because the thoughts and behaviors of those with OCD are so unusual or socially unacceptable, people with OCD often feel deeply embarrassed and ashamed.” – Laura L. Smith
- “I have OCD mixed with ADD; you try living with that. It’s complicated.” – Justin Timberlake
- “It’s like having mental hiccups. Mostly, we can function despite the ‘hiccups,’ but we’re exhausted attempting to carry on as if they didn’t exist.” – Sheila Cavanaugh
- “People with OCD including myself, realize that their seemingly uncontrollable behavior is irrational, but they feel unable to stop it.” – Abhijit Naskar
- “It can look like still waters on the outside while a hurricane is swirling in your mind.” – Marcie Barber Phares
- “The only way to overcome OCD is by facing your fears.” – Jonathan Grayson
- “Imagine all your worst thoughts as a soundtrack running through your mind 24/7, day after day.” – Adam Walker Cleveland
- “Telling someone with OCD to stop obsessing about something is like telling someone who’s having an asthma attack to just breathe normally.” – Tamara Ireland Stone
- “For me, it’s an ever-present nagging feeling that something is just ‘not right.’ I can never really, truly ‘make it right.’ I have to learn to live with the all-consuming feeling of mental discomfort.” – Laura McCarthy
- “You don’t have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.” – Dan Millman
- “I’m able to say at some point, ‘OK, you’re being ridiculous, stop stepping on every gum stain you see. You don’t need to do that. You don’t need to walk 20 feet back and put your foot on that thing. Nothing bad is going to happen,’” – Leonardo DiCaprio
I’m able to say at some point, ‘OK, you’re being ridiculous, stop stepping on every gum stain you see. You don’t need to do that. You don’t need to walk 20 feet back and put your foot on that thing. Nothing bad is going to happen,’” – Leonardo DiCaprio
- “The problem with OCD isn’t that you think too much. It’s that you confuse the intensity, volume, or visibility of your thoughts with their importance.” – Jon Hershfield & Tom Corboy
- “It’s not the thoughts but rather what you do with them that maintains the OCD cycle.” – Katie d’Ath & Rob Willson
- “You are not your OCD. You are not the thoughts and compulsions that torment you.” – Jeffrey M. Schwartz
- “Doubt permeates the OCD mind. It’s difficult to be 100 percent certain of almost any situation in life.” – Laura L. Smith
- “OCD is not a choice, but recovery is.” – T.J
- “At its crux, OCD treatment is about learning to live with the discomfort of uncertainty.” – Jeff Bell
- “OCD is not just a quirky personality trait, it’s a battle that’s fought every day.” – Unknown
- “When it isn’t thinking about the future, the OCD mind dwells on possibilities from the past. The mind fills with thoughts about what might have occurred.” – Laura L. Smith
- “Recovery from OCD is possible. Keep fighting, keep pushing, and most importantly, keep believing in yourself.” – Sheila Murray Bethel
- “Fighting OCD is like boxing. Each time you go against a thought, it’s a punch to its strength. Each time you listen to your OCD, its biceps get bigger and it becomes a more powerful opponent. It’s a war of attrition – you just have to keep fighting.” – Allison Britz
Final Thoughts on OCD Quotes
We hope these OCD quotes are a gentle reminder that you are not alone. OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) can be a difficult challenge to face and manage. But with the right coping strategies and a strong support network, you can learn how to cope with the disorder.
Try to pinpoint any triggers, so that you can reduce the impact it has on your life. Be kind to yourself as you take this journey, and consider using mantras or affirmations to stay positive through the more difficult days.
And for more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 47 Fate Quotes About Embracing Your Future
- 101 Stay Strong Quotes to Be Positive During a Crisis
- 165 Anxiety Quotes to Keep You Calm When Feeling Stressed
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.