There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
The word mentor can mean different things to different people. For some, it may be a friend who selflessly listens after a relationship breakup. For others, a person who offers guidance when starting a new job.
But whilst the situation will vary, the goal of a mentor does not. It’s their responsibility to offer direction when we’re lost. Advice when we have questions. And support when we’re struggling.
Mentors often bring with them, the strength that we struggle to find in ourselves. And these mentor quotes show how encouraging this can be as we strive to succeed with our personal goals and ambitions.
If you could write a wishlist for a mentor, what would it include? Good at listening? Empathetic? Nonjudgemental? Knowledgable? Honest?
Your list would probably look different from your friend’s, or your sister’s. And that’s because we are all different. And our needs are all different.
Whilst one person may be hugely offended by the tone or use of language from their mentor, someone else might embrace it and even feel empowered. Likewise, a compassionate and nurturing listener’s approach, though greatly received by some, may be lost in the silence to others.
There’s no one size fits all. And as your life changes, the kind of person you need as a mentor will likely change too.
As an example, for most of us, our teachers would have been obvious childhood mentors. They'd naturally take on the role as we navigated our way from Kindergarten to High School.
Later in life, it may be a colleague at work who brings reassurance. A Mom friend who gives guidance during those early parenting days. A fellow runner who joins you on your 6 am jog. And so the list goes on.
Your mentor should always inspire you to reach further. It's about adding value to your life. And you to theirs, as they see you succeed where you were once struggling.
These mentor quotes remind us how important it is to have the right people in our lives. People who want to share their positive energy. And help you reach your fullest potential.
So let’s get started.
- “The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” – William Arthur Ward
- “It’s been true in my life that when I’ve needed a mentor, the right person shows up.” – Ken Blanchard
- “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” – Benjamin Franklin
- “A mentor is someone who sees more talent and ability within you, than you see in yourself, and helps bring it out of you.” — Bob Proctor
- “If you cannot see where you are going, ask someone who has been there before.” – J Loren Norris
- “I think the greatest thing we give each other is encouragement…knowing that I'm talking to someone in this mentoring relationship who's interested in the big idea here is very, very important to me. I think if it were just about helping me get to the next step, it would be a heck of a lot less interesting.” — Anne Sweeney
I think the greatest thing we give each other is encouragement…knowing that I'm talking to someone in this mentoring relationship who's interested in the big idea here is very, very important to me. I think if it were just about helping me get to the next step, it would be a heck of a lot less interesting.” — Anne Sweeney
- “Leaders should influence others in such a way that it builds people up, encourages and edifies them so they can duplicate this attitude in others.” –Bob Goshen
- “A mentor empowers a person to see a possible future, and believe it can be obtained.” -– Shawn Hitchcock
- “Behind every great leader, at the base of every great tale of success, you will find an indispensable circle of trusted advisors, mentors, and colleagues.” – Unknown
- “Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen, and a push in the right direction.” — John Crosby
- “A good mentor offers directions and driving tips from the back seat. You still have to drive the car.” – Michael Johnson
- “A great mentor helps you to achieve what seems impossible.” – Mariela Dabbah
- “Mentors are all around us. Who makes you feel confident, inspired, focused, and is willing to share their experience?” – Anna Letitia Cook
- “What you do has far greater impact than what you say.” – Stephen Covey
- “We’re here for a reason. I believe a bit of the reason is to throw little torches out to lead people through the dark.” – Whoopi Goldberg
- “A mentor is someone who allows you to see the hope inside yourself.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “True mentors have this unique ability to pick up vibes that everyone else misses from within you.” – Ahmad R Kazi
- “One of the greatest values of mentors is the ability to see ahead what others cannot see and to help them navigate a course to their destination.” – John C. Maxwell
One of the greatest values of mentors is the ability to see ahead what others cannot see and to help them navigate a course to their destination.” – John C. Maxwell
- “I am not a teacher, but an awakener.”― Robert Frost
- “Mentors don’t necessarily have the answers, but they can help you find your own answers.” – Amelia Rope
- “You cannot transmit wisdom and insight to another person. The seed is already there. A good teacher touches the seed, allowing it to wake up, to sprout, and to grow.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- “My job is not to be easy on people. My job is to take these great people we have and to push them and make them even better.” – Steve Jobs
- “Advice is like snow; the softer it falls, the longer it dwells upon, and the deeper it sinks into the mind.” – Samuel Taylor
- “We are what our great Mentors have taught us.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
- “You know, you do need mentors, but in the end, you really just need to believe in yourself.” – Diana Ross
- “With careful guidance and mentorship, you will reach your highest self.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
- “What I think the mentor gets is the great satisfaction of helping somebody along, helping somebody take advantage of an opportunity that maybe he or she did not have.” – Clint Eastwood
- “I have always been a huge believer in the inestimable value good mentoring can contribute to any nascent business.” – Richard Branson
- “If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.” — Isaac Newton
- “If I hadn’t had mentors, I wouldn’t be here today. I’m a product of great mentoring, great coaching. Coaches or mentors are very important. They could be anyone–your husband, other family members, or your boss.” – Indra Nooyl
If I hadn’t had mentors, I wouldn’t be here today. I’m a product of great mentoring, great coaching. Coaches or mentors are very important. They could be anyone–your husband, other family members, or your boss.” – Indra Nooyl
- “Mentoring can have a profound impact on your personal growth, but you have to be open to change.” – Lois Zachary
- “The delicate balance of mentoring someone is not creating them in your own image, but giving them the opportunity to create themselves.” – Steven Spielberg
- “A truly great mentor is hard to find, difficult to part with, and impossible to forget.” – Unknown
- “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” — Winston Churchill
- “I encourage all of you to seek out teachers and mentors that challenge you to think for yourself and guide you to find your own voice.” – Renee Olstead
- “Your mentors in life are important, so choose them wisely.” ― Robert Kiyosak
- “No man is capable of self-improvement if he sees no other model but himself.” – Conrado I. Generoso
- “In learning, you will teach, and in teaching, you will learn.” – Phil Collins
- “Mentoring is a two-way street. You get out what you put in.” – Steve Washington
- “The mediocre mentor tells. The good mentor explains. The superior mentor demonstrates. The greatest mentors inspire!” – Lucia Ballas Traynor
- “Find a great mentor who believes in you; your life will change forever!” ― Bill Walsh
When we look out the window and see a beautiful bright day, it can have a huge impact on our mood and well-being. It puts a spring in our step, a smile on our face and everything just seems that bit better.
The same can be said for a good mentor. With the right guidance and support, they can turn that frown upside down and help you see just how capable you really are.
If you’re looking for more inspirational quotes, be sure to check out these blog posts:
- 47 Finding Yourself Quotes to Discover Who You Are
- 35 Positive Bhagavad Gita Quotes to Understand Life
- 49 Powerful Compassion Quotes About Showing Empathy
Finally, if you want to use these quotes to make a lasting change to your life, then check out and recite these 57 affirmations for success.
Rebel Jones has been writing from a young age. She first used poetry to organise words – the rhythm and flow brought peace to her chaos. But as she developed (both as a person and as a writer), she embraced her offbeat thought process and found her own style and tone. Writing is definitely her happy place and one that she’s happy to share with the world.