There might be affiliate links on this page, which means we get a small commission of anything you buy. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases. Please do your own research before making any online purchase.
Aren’t kids so interesting? They have so much personality… and have so much to learn about the world.
They can also be both simple and complex. They have no filters, which often makes them say exactly what they are thinking and feeling. Yet, they can also be shy… closed off and secretive at times.
Grown-ups can learn so much from kids. The question is how? And the answer is simple… ask them!
In this article, we’ll share 118 Get to Know You Questions for Kids that are sure to break the ice and get them singing like a canary! I promise it will be fun for them – and you!
What You Will Learn
What are Get to Know You Questions
“Get to Know You” questions are a great way to get to know someone better… no matter what age. The questions can be formulated to learn more about a person’s likes, dislikes, tendencies, fears, dreams, beliefs, biases, favorites, and so much more.
For children, in particular, these questions can be a way to express themselves better. After all, sometimes they know the answer but just can’t communicate it well. A question can be their guide to figuring out what they really want to say.
118 Get to Know You Questions for Kids
- Do you like your name?
- If you could pick your own name, what would it be?
- What’s your favorite color?
- If you can eat only one kind of food, what would it be?
- Are you usually excited to meet new friends?
- Are you the type to approach other kids to introduce yourself or would you rather wait for them to approach you?
- What’s your favorite season?
- Do you like your milk hot or cold?
- Which do you prefer: milk or chocolate?
- What’s your favorite dessert?
- Which one do you like more: cookies or cake?
- Have you ever had a pet?
- What’s your favorite animal in the zoo?
- Are you afraid of insects or bugs?
- What insect or bug are you most afraid of?
- What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?
- Do you eat your vegetables?
- What is your favorite vegetable?
- If you had one superpower, what would it be?
- What superhero do you think the world needs today?
- Which instrument would you prefer to play: piano, guitar, or drums?
- Do you like the beach?
- Do you know how to swim?
- What is your favorite thing about your mom?
- What is your favorite thing about your dad?
- What is your favorite thing to do with your parents?
- Where would you like to go with your family?
- How do you like to spend time with them?
- Do you want (more) siblings?
- What do you like most about your brother/sister?
- What meal do you like having best with them (breakfast, lunch, or dinner)?
- Would you like to go camping with your family?
- Is there anything you’d like your family to do together more?
- Do you play board games with your family?
- What’s the best way to hang out with your family?
- Have you ever baked together with your mom?
- What’s your favorite thing at the family barbecue?
- What’s the household chore you don’t mind doing on a weekend?
- Have you ever been grounded? For what?
- Do you share clothes with your siblings?
- What’s your favorite activity to do with your brother or sister?
- Do you consider your brother/sister as your friend too?
- Do you have a best friend?
- Who is/are your best friend/s?
- What makes them your best friend?
- What do you like doing with them?
- Where do you usually hang out?
- Do you share your toys with them?
- What do you do to hang out?
- Do you share your food with your friends?
- What’s your favorite game to play with them?
- Do you like hanging out at their house?
- Do you play video games with them?
- Do you like playing dress up or pretending with your friends?
- Do you have a secret hideout?
- School closed early today. Where would you and your friend go to hang out?
- Do you and your best friend have the same taste in clothes?
- Would you wear the kind of clothes your best friend wears?
- Do you and your friends have a secret hideout?
- There’s only one slice of pizza left. Both you and your friend want it. Do you share or do you compete against them for it?
- Have you ever covered up for a friend?
- What’s the one thing your friend could do to make you mad?
- What was the biggest fight you had with your friend? How long did it last?
- What is your favorite subject?
- Who is your favorite teacher?
- Do you like school?
- What do you like/not about school?
- Are you in a club?
- What club are you in?
- What’s the best game to play during recess?
- Do you think you spend enough time in school?
- Do you get a lot of homework?
- Do you like speaking up in class? Why or why not?
- What’s the best thing you’ve learned in school so far?
- Are you excited about going to the next school level?
- How do you usually prepare for school?
- Do you go to school by bus or by car?
- If you take the school bus, what do you like/not like about it?
- Do you like your food in the cafeteria?
- Do you like your snacks or lunch from home?
- If you could pack your own lunch, what would be in it?
- Have you ever swapped lunch with your classmate?
- What’s the most memorable swapped lunch experience you have?
- What’s your favorite ride in the playground?
- If you could have only one subject for the whole day, what would it be?
- Who is your favorite teacher?
- Why do you like that teacher?
- What’s the best comment you received from a teacher?
- Do you think grades are important?
- Do you like reading?
- What is your favorite book?
- Do you like math?
- Do you like your art class?
- Would you rather work alone for school projects or work with a friend or group?
- What’s your favorite hobby?
- Is there an activity you would like to try?
- Who is your favorite cartoon character?
- Which character would you like to dress up as next Halloween?
- Do you like playing sports?
- You have one free day. Which would you prefer to do: stay home and play video games or go out and play?
- What age did you learn to ride a bike?
- What’s your favorite TV show?
- Who is your favorite superhero?
- What’s the best way to spend a weekend?
- What’s your idea of an ideal vacation?
- Do you know how to ride a bike?
- What was the first sport you learned?
- If you were to choose between basketball and baseball, what would you choose?
- Do you like arts and crafts?
- You’re invited to your friend’s birthday party. Do you buy them a gift or do you make them one?
- What new hobby would you like to try or explore?
- Do you like to travel?
- If you were to go on a trip, would you rather go to the beach or the mountains?
- Have you ever been on a boat?
- Have you ever gone fishing?
- If you receive an acceptance letter to Magic School, would you go?
- Do you like playing in the rain or snow?
- Would you rather take the plane or the train?
Final Thoughts on 118 Questions For Kids in 2023
There are so many more questions you could ask to get to know kids better. They have so much to learn too, of course, so their answers are likely going to change in the future.
What’s important is that what you know about them today is what’s true about them at present. Keep the lines of communication open always with questions like these… and some of your own.
This is merely one more tool to help grown-ups learn more about their kids. As a bonus, the kids can learn more about themselves. Be sure to check out this article on 19 Mindfulness Activities for Kids in a Classroom Setting for more ideas on how to better connect with them as a parent, mentor, teacher or friend.